This video shows Reed Plaza at UGA's Sanford Stadium in Athens, GA, the focus of UGA's 2010 and most recent improvements to the north side concourse.
In 2000, twenty new SkySuite and SkyClub suites were added bringing the total number of Sanford Stadium SkySuites to 50. The SkyClub was constructed on top of Sanford's south upper deck directly under the existing and newly added SkySuites. These additions by Mitchell Construction and Heery International Inc. of Atlanta, GA increased Sanford Stadium UGA football game day seating capacity to 86,520 and cost $12 million. In early 2003 the North side upper deck addition was added increasing seating there by 5,500. This project by HNTB of Kansas City, Mo and Turner Construction-Sports, Atlanta, GA brought seating capacity to 92,058 at a cost of $25million. 2004 saw the addition of 27 new SkySuites on the North Side of UGA's Sanford Stadium. In addition, 688 new seats added in new north side SkySuite level bringing seating Capacity: 92,746 at a cost of $8 million. In 1991 Sanford Stadium's West End was enclosed and 4,205 seats added bringing total game day seating capacity to 85,434. This project by Heery International Inc. and Winter Contruction of Altanta, GA cost $3.7 million. Three years later in August 1994, 30 new "SkySuites" were constructed in Sanford Stadium. This double deck luxury addition included SkySuites on Sanford's South side upper deck as well as 683 seats added bringing seating capacity to 86,117. The project by Heery International Inc. and Beers Construction of Atlanta, GA cost $6 million.
The 1980's proved significant in terms of Sanford Stadium improvements. In 1981 Sanford Stadium's east end was enclosed and 19,000 seats were added, increasing seating capacity to 82,122. This project by architect Finch-Heery of Atlanta, GA and contractor Marvin M. Black Co. of Norcross, GA cost the University of Georgia $11.5 million. A year later in 1982 flood lights with 420 metal-halide bulbs were installed in Sanford Stadium 150 feet over the field via 12 new poles. This project by Inglett & Stubbs, Inc. of Atlanta, GA and Lighting Associates of Lithonia, GA cost $1 million. Finally 1984 saw the addition of the UGA Lettermen's Club on the East End in Sanford Stadium. This project included a 5,460 square feet addition to the stadium, with a nearly 3,000 square foot room used for dinning and or meetings in Sanford Stadium.
In 1967 another 19,640 seats were added to Sanford Stadium. In addition, another level which included the Club level, Press Box and Presidents box. This "double- deck" project by
architect Heery & Heery of Atlanta, GA and contractor Baugh & Coody, Inc., Albany, GA brought the football stadium's seating capacity to 59,000 and cost nearly $3,000,000.
With the addition of lights at field level in UGA's Sanford Stadium, 1940 marked the first night game. On October 26 of that year, against Kentucky, resulting in a 7 to 7 tie. In 1949 6,000 seats were added to Sanford Stadium's South level increasing total seating capacity to 36,000. Also in 1964 lighting was removed from the field level and positioned to illuminate the field from above.
Want to know more about Sanford Stadium?