Sanford Stadium or Sanford Field as it was originally called, is named for the late Dr. S. V. Sanford, a University of Georgia president and Chancellor of the University of Georgia system. Sanford Field was originally built in 1928 to seat 30,000 fans at a cost of just over $360,000. The first game at Sanford Stadium Field was played on October 12, 1929. The first opponent to meet UGA on the field in Sanford Stadium was Yale University. Thanks to Vernon Smith, aka "Catfish", Georgia won 15-0 and Yale hasn't returned to Athens, Georgia since.
Want to know more about Sanford Stadium?